Even if you own your own a home recording studio, there are times when you need to travel a lot. That's why it's important to know how to build a portable recording studio gear setup that fits in your backpack. Although it seems hard to achieve, it's doable, and it's cheaper than a stand alone studio. Of course, you are constrain by some limitation like the battery life, no mic stand, no acoustic foam, poor quality of some items. But, you have mobility!
In order to build your own portable studio, you need the backbone, the laptop. We're talking portable, so that means you need a laptop with long lasting battery life. You'll find plenty of notebooks or netbooks that have over 5 hours battery life. It depends to you and your budget. I'm working with an Acer AO532h-2588 10.1-Inch Onyx Blue Netbook
- Up to 8 Hours of Battery Life. Remember, we are not trying to mix things, so we don't need to much CPU power there, but still...
Getting back to the portable recording studio gear, you need to
keep it simple and clean, you need a good audio interface (with Windows 7 driver support), a decent mic, a pop filter, headphone and some cables. There are plenty of options to choose from, but I'm just going to recommend the best item priced under $250.
This package is called the Presonus Portable Recording Studio Package
- AudioBoxTM USB Interface with Cable
- Studio OneTM Artist Recording and Production Software
- HD7 Studio Monitoring Headphones
- M7 Studio Condenser Microphone with Cable
- "Computer Recording Made Easy" Quick Start Guide
Off course, you can buy other audio interface or alternative condenser mic for your portable recording studio, but this one has a decent price. It's all about your budget. In addition to this, watch on youtube how to create an acoustic recording space for your home studio:
If this package is to expensive, you can get another one at a cheaper price, the Behringer USB Recording Package
This portable recording studio package includes:
- Behringer Xenyx mixer - Features 4 preamps, 4 studio grade compressors and a built-in stereo USB/audio interface to connect to a PC or Mac.
- 1 pair of audio monitors
- Studio condenser microphone - For portable studio recordings
- Energy XT2.5 Music Production Suite software